details

Get your facts clear: Mum lashes out after boy accused of starting bushfire

The mum of one of the boys accused of starting a devastating fire on the Sunshine Coast has defended her son against online abusers.
It comes as community anger is rising over revelations from police that eight of the 10 deliberately-lit fires were started by juveniles.
"In some cases it's just young kids lighting a fire for fun, that fire has gotten away, and obviously impacted in some ways very badly," Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll said.
But in other cases, she said, the fires had been "purposefully" lit.
The fires have destroyed 17 homes in Queensland, damaging more than 60 others.
The boy accused of starting the fire at Peregian on the Sunshine Coast has admitted online to starting a small blaze.
One boy has been accused of starting a fire on the Sunshine Coast. (A Current Affair)
"I did a small one, stomped it out and it was over, then ----- did a big one," he told one accuser.

Related Articles

His mum has also stepped in to defend him online against angry locals.
"You need to get your facts clear," she told one accuser.
Fires have destroyed 17 homes in Queensland. (A Current Affair)
"When a police report comes out, you'll know."
A Current Affair contacted the mother today, but she declined to speak.
Police have now launched Task Force Overcross to investigate the spate of suspicious fires across the state.
Peregian resident Brad Chick said he didn't believe the kids thought about the consequences (A Current Affair)
Just yesterday, two 14-year-old girls were arrested after allegedly starting a fire in bushland on the Gold Coast.
An angry mother also recorded some footage of two kids she confronted who, she claims, were lighting fires north-west of Brisbane.
At Peregian, locals told A Current Affair kids always played around in the area where the fire started.
One mum claims she saw two kids lighting a fire north-west of Brisbane. (A Current Affair)
Resident Brad Chick, who was forced to evacuate his home on Monday night, said he was angry to know he could have lost everything thanks to callous local kids.
"A little brush fire down here or there, and they think, oh, that's a little bit of a giggle," he said.
"I don't think they would have thought ahead of the consequences."
Some of the blazes have been deliberately lit. (A Current Affair)
Paul Read from the National Centre for Research in Bushfire and Arson said 50 per cent of arson was caused by children.
Police say they have cautioned some of the juveniles they believed to have been responsible for the deliberately-lit fires, while others will have to face court.
Commissioner Carroll urged parents to educate their kids about fire danger.
"These are not usual conditions, they're actually quite dangerous," she said.
Two teens have now been charged with endangering particular property by fire in relation to the Peregian blaze.
© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2019

Source : 9news.com.au

Комментарии (4)
hhlkhlkhlkhklhklhlkhklhlkhlkhklhlkhlkhlkhlkhkhkl
Ответить
Еще 4 комментария